About Me

My photo
Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am a wife to a fantastic fellow and mother to 3 sweet boys. I teach grade 3 at Greenfield Elementary School. This course is providing me with so much information that I can incorporate into my class!

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Tonight was a very productive class!  Having the tutorial of the iTunes really helped me narrow down where to look for all the interesting apps that are available to download.  It can quickly become overwhelming with all the choices and having the knowledge now of specifically how to get to where you need to be has helped me a lot.

Getting to work with our group members tonight helped to put assignment 1 into perspective.  Having that chance to hash out the details and ask questions really put us on the right track.  Our topic, communication disorders, has so many different aspects it was great to see just how people with communication disorders can work on improving such things as articulation and listening skills.  One video I have come across in the past week was this one highlighting the musical skills of Derek Paravicini.  He was born prematurely and is blind and has severe cognitive impairment.  He uses music to have conversations.  Although not the type of assistive technology like the apps we're learning about today, his music teacher and parents realized that a piano was the tool he was using to communicate and interact with the people around him.  Check out his amazing story below!
Sometimes it's hard to see past certain disabilities, but as Derek's music teacher proved, finding the key that unlocks a student's ability to communicate and participate in everyday classroom activities is so rewarding.  Not every child is going to be a savant, yet providing them with the technology that allows them to reach their potential is part of what teaching is today.

4 comments:

  1. This video seems like a perfect example of the musical intelligence (one of the intelligences proposed by Bloom) being used to help other intelligences develop (in this case, interpersonal intelligence).

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog Jenna,
    I agree with your thoughts about how much information is available. It is wonderful that we are taking the time to research and share just a tiny window of what is out there. I am finding it very interesting. I have had Itunes for quite a while and have never played around with it before. Now, I am downloading lots of cool things for both my class and also my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog Jenna. Nice layout, good honest feedback and reflective. Keep searching for outside links and interesting sites to share with others and to keep as a record on your blog for yourself. Can't wait to read about your reflections on the presentations tonight. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog, Jenna! I agree with you, Setz, in that I only used iTunes for music, movies and tv downloads. To be honest, until this course, I never searched for anything other than those downloads. I have been amazed and completely surprised with the amount of apps for every educational subject! I am now hooked on searching!

    ReplyDelete