About Me

My photo
Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am a wife to a fantastic fellow and mother to 3 sweet boys. I teach grade 3 at Greenfield Elementary School. This course is providing me with so much information that I can incorporate into my class!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Presentation Night!

Again tonight's class does not disappoint with the amount of wonderful information provided about assistive technology!  Our class was filled with information on different disorders and disabilities and how today's technology is making such a difference in the lives of those affected by them.  To try and discuss each presentation would fill this page and plenty more, so I will stick to the apps mentioned that I found particularly useful and interesting to my current situation in life and career.

The three apps first mentioned by the last group really caught my eye.  Every year since I've moved home to Nova Scotia, I have taught a child who has autism.  Although the students I had were all verbal, they differed in their academic abilities and amount of socialization with others.  The biggest hurdle I have encountered is what to do when they are in sensory overload.  Our school just this year has implemented a cool down room and sensory room to aid such students.  Although these have been great, sometimes others are in the room and my student is unable to be in there at the same time.  Having apps like Fluid, Pocket Pond, and Touch Trainer would be of great help with sensory regulation and calming down the student when class time has become too much to handle.  The fact that Touch Trainer also deals with cause and effect is of particular interest to me this year as the student in my class has major difficulty with this area.  I am excited to hopefully be able to get this app and work with him on this area.  He is very technology savvy and am sure will love an app like this.

Here is the video for Pocket Pond tutorial from Youtube, I know I want to play with it myself!!
 


  The other set of apps that really stood out for me tonight were the ones geared towards younger children.  We even saw a video showing a 1 year old expertly using an IPad, (although to me she looked older than 1, that was a lot of hair!!).  Having two young children myself with one more on the way, I often struggle with the idea of using technology at such a young age.  I understand how children in this day and age need to know how to use such things and how they are a part of everyday life in schools and the workplace, but at the same time I am also seeing how some children are plunked down in front of a screen that acts like more of a babysitter than a learning tool.  That is why I liked the Rules of Engagement mentioned this evening.  Each of the rules:  Structure, App Choice, Settings and Supervision, and Limits and Consistency are so important at any age.  Children do need the exposure to this wonderful technology, but also need learning opportunities and experiences in the other "real world" :)  By following these rules, parents can have their children learn about the awesome technology that is out there and also control what is being learned.  The apps mentioned during this presentation, ABA Flash Cards, ABC Trace and Baby Flash Cards all introduce youngsters to important skills that they will need in school.  Giving children a head start on these skills is important and beneficial.  If providing these activities on an IPad helps keep their interest a bit longer than that's fine with me!  I'm just happy that tips were given to remind all of us to balancing tech time with play time!

Everyone did such an awesome job tonight!  I'm looking forward to hearing from the final two groups next class.  I know there will be just as much interesting and unique information provided next Tuesday as well!
 

5 comments:

  1. I too liked the rules of engagement mentioned Jenna and plan to check out the apps you mentioned for younger kids. They might be fun to play with at "gramma's and papa's" house. I think my grandbaby will like them. I am convinced that I need Fluid for me. The pond one would not work - I would become obsessive over it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT Jenna: This is exactly what I'm looking for in this kind of session. Your reflections are heartfelt, meaningful and add depth and interest to your blog. You are clearly enjoying the course and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I'm glad you found some information in our presentation that was useful to you (i.e. the "rules of engagement" - a term used by Barbara and Karen in the webinar). Although those rules, in hindsight, may seem like the application of common sense, I would argue that I need to be reminded to use that common sense to ensure the best outcomes in any situation. I am reminded of a quote by Benjamin Franklin: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jenna, I think the following website would be also very useful resource. It has 2 presentations on it that goes through a lot of apps. Toni originally showed it to me and I thought that it is a good idea to share it with your group.

    http://teachinglearnerswithmultipleneeds.blogspot.ca/2010/12/ipossibilities-slideshows-from.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farnoush! I'm so new to the app arena, every bit helps! So much out there, it's amazing!

      Delete