About Me

My photo
Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am a wife to a fantastic fellow and mother to 3 sweet boys. I teach grade 3 at Greenfield Elementary School. This course is providing me with so much information that I can incorporate into my class!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Oh Boy!

I have to say, tonight's class was very overwhelming!  I always knew I wasn't at the top of the technology mountain, but usually I can hold my own.  Tonight however, I felt like I was out of my league!  My head is swimming!  In a way, my frustrations with trying to do the steps as they were being given could be associated with the frustrations many students feel when they are not able to keep up with their classroom teachers.  Although I know I am capable of learning the steps necessary to get through this course, many students with disabilities may not feel the same way, especially if they are never given the tools to help them succeed.  If most of their experience at school has been with the feeling of not being able to keep up or to communicate as they know they should be able to, after a while I can see why some may act out or just give up. Assistive technology to me has always been somewhat intimidating.  I feel that no one has ever really explained any to me, so how could I explain them to my students who need them? My hope is that as I become more aware of what is out there through taking this course, not only will my frustrations be lessened because I have been introduced to these assistive technologies, what they can do and how to integrate them into my class, but so will my students' frustrations be lessened because I may be able to offer them the tools they need to finally "hold their own" too!   

2 comments:

  1. I agree. If we are frustrated and have already developed many of the skills for academic study, frustration must be quite high when learners have not yet developed helpful academic skills or found tools to assist them in mastering material.
    I love the Education Quotes on the side of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate with how you were feeling tonight. It was a lot of information and time seemed to fly! I agree that many of our students probably feel this way too at times. I think it is good for teachers to step back into student mode so that we remember what it is like. I think that this course will be a great resource for use to in future years and will give us a good basis in AT.

    ReplyDelete