About Me

My photo
Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am a wife to a fantastic fellow and mother to 3 sweet boys. I teach grade 3 at Greenfield Elementary School. This course is providing me with so much information that I can incorporate into my class!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

First Night of Class


Tonight was our first class for Assistive Technology.  I have to say, I’ve heard “whispers” about different things out there, but really haven’t been introduced to or trained in using any of the more technological AT out there.  In the past I have used more low tech options such as pencil grippers, different colored paper or ink, fidgets, and air seat cushions, but none of the more advanced tools such as those mentioned in class.  The video I found on you tube was the first one to come up on my screen during my search.  I bypassed it at first, thinking many in the class would use it, but ended up going back to it since I found it gave a quick peek into some of the things out there, which type of student would benefit from it and also, it showed a picture of the item, which helped put a “face” to the name of the AT.   

Watch it here!


I also had the opportunity to create my very first wordle tonight, (and how to take a picture of my screen too!).  Again, another idea I had heard about yet never used personally.  This neat little tool really highlights a topic and I can see how it would be useful in helping students organize their thoughts by focusing their attention to more important details. 
I am looking forward to learning more about what is out there and how to use those tools effectively in my classroom.  If tonight’s class was any indication, I don’t think I’m going to be disappointed with what will be offered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment